Trying to keep my head above the waterline
It’s that time of the year, again. The last couple of weeks have been quite extensive, and I recall the feeling from the same period last year. Among other things, I am at this time every year involved as a tutor in the Fire Chemistry and Explosions course, given to Fire Protection Engineering students at Lund University. I’m not giving any lectures, but still assisting the students during their calculus exercises in fire chemistry a couple of 2 h classes every week. It is great fun seeing the students develop their skills, slowly progressing to become well equipped engineers!
However, at the same time as my involvement in education has increased, my own PhD courses are also consuming more and more time. At the moment, I’m taking a basic course in statistics, learning how to master both parametric and non-parametric methods; knowledge that certainly will come to great use later in my PhD studies. I’m also about finish a PhD course in experimental methodology, and making progress in another PhD course on Fire Safety in Underground Structures, both of which I have written about in previous posts. They are all very interesting and rewarding courses, which can be exemplified with an assignment in the Fire Safety in Underground Structures course that I completed last week. I got to give some credit to course responsible Dr. Haukur Ingason for his efforts in giving us up to date and exciting assignments. This time, the task was to evaluate the hazardous effects on the evacuees of the Gudvanga tunnel fire by first constructing a heat release rate curve based on information about the truck, and then to evaluate fractional effect doses of both temperature and toxicants. This required me to apply much of the research I have stumbled over during the last years on a real scenario case, which felt very rewarding!
On the research front there is not much happening at the moment, apart from the planning of new studies and the management of ongoing projects. However, I have got some news on the publication front. It makes me quite happy to announce that:
- The first journal paper that I ever submitted has finally been accepted, as well as published, in Safety Science.
- An extended version of the paper that I presented at this year’s Interflam conference has been accepted for publication in Fire and Materials (soon to be published).
- A final version of a previously accepted paper to next year’s ISTSS conference has been submitted to the host.
- My poster abstract to next year’s IAFSS conference was accepted, which (if everything goes well) means that I will most likely be in Christchurch next February!
On Thursday I’ll travel to London to participate in a seminar arranged by LFEPA (London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority) and talk about the outcome of the METRO project. To my joy, there is still much interest of the now finished project all over the world, and it will be great fun to visit London and to talk about what we did, and what we found.